Sunday 9 February 2014

A Busy 2014

So I have been sort of neglecting my blog recently but this has mostly been due to me being really busy!
Kandersteg
I have loads to tell you about, but I will be brief to avoid making it into too much of an essay.
Team GB in Romania
During January I competed in the Ice World Cup in Korea, Romania and Switzerland. Despite me never challenging the top climbers at all I have learnt loads, had so much fun and made loads of new friends.On my travels I have also been to some cool mixed climbing crags. We were shown a newly bolted crag in Romania and then went to Kandersteg whilst in Switzerland.

Saas Fee Structure
Saas Fee Qualifiers (Photo Credit: Matt Pritchard)
Romanian Qualifiers (Photo Credit: Anna Wells)
My best performance was in Korea where I just went out there and climbed as I didn't have a clue how I was going to do. Hopefully next year I will be selected for the team again and I can do a bit better!
After returning from Switzerland I went straight to the BMC international meet. This was a week were UK hosts, of which I was one, showed loads of foreign climbers around the winter scottish highlands. I didn't really get very much done as I missed the best days to go to university but I did manage to climb The Seam, Unicorn, a new route in the Cairngorms, DTS Spirit and Fast and Furious in my wellies (well I took a victory whipper from the final hold on this).
The Seam (Photo Credit: Piotr Sulowski)
Unicorn (Photo Credit: Piotr Sulowski)
Unicorn (Photo Credit: Piotr Sulowski)
F+F (Photo Credit: Piotr Sulowski)
Since the meet I have managed one day out on Ben Nevis where I climbed Route 1 with its Direct Winter start.
Route 1 Direct Start
In addition to my ice axe related adventures I came joint first, with a very strong boulderer, in the Edinburgh Universities bouldering competition last week held at the CSE climbing wall. I was quite surprised at this since I haven't rock climbed very much at all in the last month or so.
Competing at the CSE (Photo Credit: Steven Barnes)

No comments:

Post a Comment